Magia Erebea (闇の魔法「マギア・エレベア」, Yami no Mahō; Literally "Dark Magic") is a forbidden technique created by Evangeline A.K. McDowell over a period of 10 years, in which the user absorbs offensive magic designed to harm the enemy into his own body, to the point where it fuses with their very soul. The technique feeds on the user's body and soul, but in return the user gains power many times that of any ordinary person.
Magia Erebea refers to absorbing the spells into the caster and gaining properties of that same spell. The spell Magia Erebea harnesses the spell's energy and once absorbed by the caster, it is fused directly to the caster's soul. The technique feeds on the caster's soul and any dark feelings; such as hatred, greed, lust, revenge, in other words, "Bad" feelings.
Magia Erebea has two forms. The first is that the user will completely absorb the magical attack into themselves, thereby gaining its properties. First casting the spell that they wish to absorb, they then chant the following phrases:
- Latin: "Stagnet. Complexio, Supplementum pro Armationem!"
English: "Fixate. Seize. Load magic, 'Armament'!"
This technique is a three-stage process:
- Stagnet (固定, Kotei, Literally "Fixate") is used to compress the spell into a manageable size to be absorbed, usually swirling in a mass orb of storm.
- Complexio (掌握, Shōaku, Literally "Seize) allows the caster to "crush" the spell, absorbing it into himself.
- Supplementum pro "Armationem" (魔力充塡・術式兵装, Maryoku Jūten, Jutsushiki Hyōshō, Literally "Load Magic, Armament") then allows the caster to facilitate the absorbing process.
In order to use Magia Erebea, the caster must first pass the test that Evangeline has created. The instructions to using Magia Erebea and the test are both present inside a scroll with Evangeline's full name printed onto it. When the scroll is unraveled, a spiritual image of Evangeline is shown, asking "What is darkness?" to the caster before forcibly entering their mind, thus awakening Phantasmagoria.
Once inside Phantasmagoria, the caster then faces their definition to darkness (or "evil") and is forced to battle the darkness within them. Inside Phantasmagoria, death is prolonged for as long as the caster's will can withstand the pressure of mentally dying over and over. Once the caster's death hits the dead end, either two things happen: the caster dies, or he awakens with no ability to use Magic.
The main objective of the test is to have the caster figure out what "darkness" is and whether or not they can understand and embrace it willingly.
When the caster passes the test, a set of swirling tattoos are present on the user's forearms as proof that they have learned and somewhat mastered Magia Erebea.
- Grants the caster immense power and strength depending on which spell is used for enhancement.
- Depending on the spell cast for enhancement, the caster gains the properties of that same spell cast.
- If used enough and the caster dies and revives, the caster becomes a somewhat immortal, similarly to a vampire, and gains extreme abnormal properties such as high-speed regeneration. However, they must posses the blood of the Ostian royal family if they are to revive.
- If the caster does not finish or defeat their own darkness during the test, they face the risk of dying or live the remainder of his/her life with the inability to use Magic ever again.
- If the caster is not fit for Magia Erebea, the caster might explode if attempting to use the spell, an example being Jack Rakan.
- If overused, the caster takes great risk of being overtaken by the spell, known as the "Enroachment of Erebea" and risks becoming a monstrous and terrifying beast.
- Worst case scenario is that the caster dies.
Actus Noctis ErebeaeEdit
Actus Noctis Erebeae (闇き夜の型, Kuraki Yoru no Kata, Literally "Form of the Dark Night") is the second form of the technique is that the user can store magical spells within themselves without canceling the previous Magia Erebea. By canting "Supplementum", they will absorb the magic into themselves, but not merge with it, where they can release it at a later time. The actual syntax varies slightly, depending upon the nature of the command given.
Agilitas Fulminis (疾風迅雷, Shippūjinrai, Literally "Lightning Speed") is the form that takes the magic power from “Thunderous Gale (Jovis Tempestas Fulguriens)” into one’s flesh and fuses it with the spirit. In doing so, it gives the caster exceedingly great mobility.
Sim Fabricatus Ab IncendioEdit
Sim Fabricatus Ab Incendio (獄炎煉我, Gokuenrenka, Literally "Hell's Refining Fire") is the form that takes the magic power from "Flames of Hell (Incendium Gehennae)" into one’s flesh and fuses it with the spirit. In doing so, the caster’s flesh gains powerful hardness and resistance to heat.
Ή ΆΣΤΡΑΠΗ΄ ΎΠΕ΄Ρ ΟΥ΄ΡΑΝΟ΄Υ ΜΕΤΑ ΔΥΝΑ΄ΜΕΝΗEdit
Ή ΆΣΤΡΑΠΗ΄ ΎΠΕ΄Ρ ΟΥ΄ΡΑΝΟ΄Υ ΜΕΤΑ ΔΥΝΑ΄ΜΕΝΗ (雷天大壮, Raiten Taisō, Literally "Thunder in Heaven, Great Vigor") is the form that takes the power from "Thousand Lightning Bolts (Kilipl Astrapê)" into one’s flesh and fuses it with the spirit. In doing so, the caster becomes a mass of electrically charged particles.
ΤΑΣΤΡΑΠΗ ΎΠΕΡ ΟΥΡΑΝΟΎ ΜΕΓΑ ΔΥΝΑΜΕΝΗEdit
Ή_ΆΣΤΡΑΠΗ΄_ΎΠΕ΄Ρ_ΟΥ΄ΡΑΝΟ΄Υ_ΜΕΤΑ_ΔΥΝΑ΄ΜΕΝΗ#ΤΑΣΤΡΑΠΗ ΎΠΕΡ ΟΥΡΑΝΟΎ ΜΕΓΑ ΔΥΝΑΜΕΝΗ|ΤΑΣΤΡΑΠΗ ΎΠΕΡ ΟΥΡΑΝΟΎ ΜΕΓΑ ΔΥΝΑΜΕΝΗ (雷天大壮 2, Raiten Taisō II, Literally "Thunder in Heaven, Great Vigor II") is the form that takes the power by absorbing a second "Thousand Lightning Bolts", Negi is able to change his Raiten Taisō into it's more upgraded version, Raiten Taisō II. It was used as Negi's 3rd "Trump Card" during his fight against Rakan.
Queen of IceEdit
Queen of Ice (氷の女王, Kōri no Jo'ō) is Evangeline's own Magia Erebea by absorbing "Ice Majesty of a Thousand Years". Once absorbing the technique, Evangeline's body seems to be emitting a glow similar to Negi in "Great Vigor" form. Behind her is a flower of ice that seems to power up her Ice abilities. Other abilities seem to be the ability to freeze everything surrounding Evangeline. Eva's Armatione allows her to fire any Ice Element spells below High Class Levels, with no incantations and restrictions whatsoever, practically making her invincible.
Negica Magia Erebea: Circuli Absorptionis ExtemporeEdit
- Negica Magia Erebea: Energy Absorption Circle (ネギ流闇の魔法: 即時敵弾 吸収陣, Negica Magia Erebea: Sokujitekidan Kyūshūjin): Negi's 5th "Trump Card" techniques and one of his original techniques. An ultimate "Magia Erebea" technique which absorbs an enemy's strength which is used for Magia Erebea and is also a technique even Evangeline herself is forced to abandon due to usage deficiencies.
"Magia" is Latin for "magic." "Erebea" is a reference to Erebus, the offspring of Chaos and the Greco-Roman god of darkness and shadow; in later myths, Erebus became synonymous with Hades, as well as the underworld itself. As such, "Magia Erebea" would roughly translate as "Dark Magic".